Tuesday, July 21, 2009

July 19th.


Jess and I had a wonderful time in L.A. with Tim and Janet. If you don’t remember them from the wedding; Tim is one of my close friends from college and Janet is basically my second mother who lives in Southern California. Tim picked us up from LAX this past Wednesday. We went to Little Tokyo and had some Japanese / Korean BBQ for lunch and had a decadent dinner at Botega Louie in Downtown L.A. after a short tour and a quiet afternoon at Tim’s place. Thursday brought a change of pace… we got up relatively late, had breakfast and then went to Hollywood for a guided tour. We went to see the Dodgers play the Astros and the result may just be the end of my curse / luck streak as my boys in blue didn’t pull out a win. This was the first time in Dodger Stadium (after seeing five wins) that I witnessed a loss.
Tim drove us back near LAX after the game and Janet was nice enough to pick us up and take us back to her place Thursday evening. We went to the beach Friday morning and had a very relaxing time. (My first taste of the Pacific in three years was everything that I remembered it to be). I got to take Jess to Good Stuff. (One of my favorite lunch spots in Hermosa Beach). We were going to see Harry Potter that evening but they were sold out. We got tickets for the Saturday morning show instead.
Janet’s daughter-in-law Logan came over for breakfast Saturday morning and we were off to see “The Halfblood Prince.” I really enjoyed it and I think everyone else did too. We went back to Janet’s house, packed all of our bags again (this is getting monotonous) and Janet dropped us off at our hotel where we had our first encounter with World Teach.
Saturday evening went very smoothly and we met all of the people going on this tour with us. They seem to be what I imagined them to be. Most of them are young, adventurous and very outgoing. I think we will become a very tight-knit group over the next couple of weeks and we are already sharing what knowledge we have of our soon to be home country.
Jess and I got up about 6:00 California time this morning and we will arrive in Pago Pago (pronounced Pango Pango) around 1:00 a.m. California time.
A side note to explain the time zone difference… We will be seven hours behind everyone on the east coast. When you reset your clocks this Fall we will only be 6 hours behind you. In the Spring when you set your clocks forward we will be seven hours behind once again.
We still don’t know what our living arrangements will be for the first couple of weeks but I imagine we will be living out of our luggage for a while.
We hope everything is going well back home. I will post some pictures and keep everyone updated when we have some time to spare.
~Charlie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jess and Charlie

    We've missed your skypes! Know you are super busy. These pictures are awesome. Sounds like you all have hit the lotto with your schools and your home. Can't wait to hear more!
    love
    mama

    ReplyDelete