Wednesday, July 22, 2009

July 21st


Woke up this morning and sat in classes for about 8 hours today. I’m sure it was necessary for those teachers who have had little to no experience teaching, but for me a lot of it was review. It was our introduction to the Dept. of Education here and they seem like a great crowd. They really seem like they are on our side and expect a lot out of us. We learned about health risks and some counseling and management skills. We had a short presentation about language and a fun P.E. session where we played freeze tag. You should have seen us running around like little kids.
It was a very long day and my tush was definitely tired of sitting down for that long. I went with one of the guards of our school compound to get some Hawaiian BBQ last night and it was excellent. He also shared some of his sweet coconut bread with us too! His name is Kaleo and we’ve had several discussions about culture and his experiences both on his island and as a U.S. Marshall. We have been experiencing some issues with our internet access here so some of my posts may come in bundles as I can’t post every day. These posts may also become stretched out further as our school activities press our engagements elsewhere.
I was told that my school will have about 800 students and we as the Vikings were the state football champions last year looking to retain their title this year. I might be volunteering some of my time to working with the team, as they seem to be pretty cool fellows.
We stayed up late this evening playing Scrabble and Password. It was very fun and we got to sit down and play with some people we hadn’t had the time to meet yet.
Love to you all,
~Charlie

3 comments:

  1. Hi Charlie and Jess!
    I tried to post a comment a couple of days ago but it didn't go through. So... I am going to try again! It looks like you guys are having a great time so far in Samoa. Wow! What a picture?!! Charlie, I know that education stuff is review... but I just want to remind you that Dare County tortures us the weeks before school starts here too! Remember?
    Anyway... the Front Royal Crew is down for the week... they had a thirtieth anniversary bash yesterday complete with Olympics! Too fun! Everyone asked about you guys and told me to tell you that they miss you both.
    In other news... we got a boat!!! Well actually more like a "dingy". It is a 13 ft Boston Whaler. Page Hawkins' (remember her from Carter Park Charlie?) Dad left it to her when he passed four years ago so it has been sitting for a little bit... and the motor needs some tlc... but other than that I think she just wants to trade it for some kayaks. Cool huh? I can't wait for you guys to get back so we can cruise in the sound. (Hopefully it will be working by then ;)
    I love reading your blog and getting your pics! It is really cool to hear about all of the amazing and fun things that you guys are doing. I love you! Oh... and if you skype my address is hunter.will Just let me know when to be at my computer. Karl says "hi" and Mama was here when I wrote last time and wanted me to tell you that she loves you!

    Miss you bunches!! I am so proud of you both!!!

    xxxoooo,
    Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you two crazies whats up this is Karlitos hollerin atchyoo from the other side of the Earth. Did you guys happen to see the eclipse by the way? Hope you're enjoying the surroundings as well as the people. Here is my request: more pictures please! Take care. _karlillos_

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now officially a follower of your blog.

    ReplyDelete